The Irish Commission on Child Abuse, reads more like the harrowing testimony from The Nuremberg Trials, rather than an inquiry into Catholic Church-run children’s institutions in Ireland.
These institutions were run like pedophile farms, and unlike the victims of Nazi concentration camps, who were saved further cruelty by a premature end to WW2, the mass starvation, rape, torture and abuse endured by Irish children, went on for decades.
All, with ‘the blessing’ of Church authorities, who not only orchestrated the abuse, covered-up the crimes, for good measure.
Here are the conclusions of the inquiry, in bullet-point fashion:
· Sexual abuse occurred in all institutions investigated.
· Schools were run in a severe, regimented manner that imposed unreasonable and oppressive discipline on children and even on staff.
· Children were frequently hungry and food was inadequate, inedible and badly prepared in many schools.
· Many witnesses spoke of being constantly fearful or terrified, which impeded their emotional development and impacted on every aspect of their life in the institution.
· Prolonged, excessive beatings with implements intended to cause maximum pain occurred with the knowledge of senior staff.
· There was constant criticism and verbal abuse and children were told they were worthless.
· Children lost their sense of identity and kinship, which was never recovered.
· Absconders were severely beaten, at times publicly. Some had their heads shaved and were humiliated.
These are not recollections of the Victorian age. The pedophile farms, managed by The Catholic Church in Ireland, operated into the 1990’s.
The BBC, one of the more conservative media oracles around, had this to say, about the report:
The five-volume study concluded that church officials encouraged ritual beatings and consistently shielded their orders' pedophiles from arrest amid a "culture of self-serving secrecy".
The commission itself, found that sexual abuse was ‘endemic’ in boys' institutions, and church leaders knew what was going on.
So there you have it, from not lesser institution than The BBC, who likened the children living as prison inmate.
The Catholic Church encouraged this reign of abuse, and kept it secret.
But the decades of organised abuse, is not the only crime that has been perpetrated by Catholic Authorities in Ireland.
Rather than feeling sorry, for the suffering for they meted-out to defenseless children, some babies (yes, babies) – The Catholic Church is defiant and unrepentant!
One of the main orchestrates of the abuse, in Ireland ‘The Christian Brothers’ successfully sued The Commission in 2004, to keep the identities of their members secret.
This is like the SS Death Squads suing the Allied prosecutors at the end of WW2, to keep the names of the guilty ‘secret’.
So despite all the sickening testimony and all the facts presented – the priests & nuns involved in the abuse will continue to live a quiet life of reflection, courtesy of very institution the commission said orchestrated it.
Despite the scale of what happened over decades, in Ireland, eye-witness testimonies, facts being public record etc – all the guilty parties will escape prosecution.
The Catholic Church does what knows best, and is well versed at.
Showing what a corrupt and morally bankrupt institution they are – the victims are treated like shit, considered mere collateral damage.
All Rome is interested-in, is protecting the name of the church and hiding-away the pedophiles in dog-collars, all of which no doubt have their feet-up in some church sponsored Catholic retirement villages, reminiscing with each other, about 'the good old-days' when they could sodomise some small child with impunity.
Enjoying their retirements, blissfully remembering those heady days when any child was yours for the taking.
The starving children begging for food, whist your own belly was full.
The cowering toddlers, you beat until their skin broke and the floor was covered in red.
Then, as the perverse pleasures are re-kindled, quietly slipping away to your room to masturbate.
Knowing fully well The Church protects its own, as you put another shovel of coal on the priory fire, before you curl-up, safe under their eternal care.